How to Find the RightFIT Order Fulfillment Partner
Choosing the right order fulfillment professional to partner with you on your warehouse optimization or design build is all about fit. You need to make sure that you are selecting an organization that isn’t simply trying to sell you equipment or a one-size-fits-all plan, but who wants to be your partner in success.
At Conveyco, we call this the RightFIT partner, and it’s an important part of our methodology. Below are steps that you can use to evaluate any partner you are considering working with to ensure that they have your best interests at heart.
Free Guide: Top Order Fulfillment KPI Indicators
Step 1 – Assemble the Right Internal Team
Before you begin thinking about what your system is going to look like, you need to assemble an effective internal team. Having the key decision makers involved in the project will help focus and expedite the Design-Build Process. There are three reasons to have the right stakeholders involved from the start:
1. Having the right insight to create the RightFIT solution begins with stakeholders who have the knowledge and experience to determine the appropriate balance of Technologies, Capital Investment, and Ongoing Operational Expense.
2. This Project Team will forecast potential savings and ongoing costs to successfully operate and maintain the system throughout its lifecycle.
3. It is important that the team consist of Operations, IT, Finance and Purchasing, with everyone involved from the start to ensure that the project runs smoothly and is a success. Having everyone available to voice their ideas, opinions or possible doubts about the design of a system will ultimately save both time and money.
Step 2 – Check Company Credentials
Time is valuable. Before you start working with a company, check their experience and references.
- Do the companies that you are vetting have relevant experience?
- How long has the company been in business?
- Are they consistently on time and on budget?
- What do their vendors and suppliers have to say about them?
- How responsive and attentive are they to your project?
Determining this information before choosing a company to work with can help avoid the headache of unfortunate surprises down the road.
Step 3 – Be Good Listeners
Mutual understanding between your team and the company you have chosen to design and build your system should be a priority throughout the process. Too often a company will offer a cookie cutter solution simply because you, the client, are in the same vertical industry. Each company operates differently, and your Material Handling Partner should realize this and be ready to respond to your company’s specific needs.
Step 4- Choosing the RightFIT Partner
Does size matter? Many clients feel comfortable working with a larger company, but most decisions are based on cost and not need. This will often result in higher costs in the long run with a significant waste of time and energy. Your project is important to the RightFIT integrator, and the investment of time and energy to build the correct solution is important to both parties. Another advantage to working with a hand-picked integration team is less decision making layers. Project changes can usually be made quickly and efficiently instead of taking long periods of time, which helps avoid costly project delays.
Step 5 – Look for Multiple Options
Do not focus your effects on working with only one manufacturer, or one consultant. Instead, focus on what fits best within the scope of your project. Partner with an integrator who has the flexibility to work with Best-In-Breed Vendors and who takes total ownership over a project. Do not settle for a “good enough for now” partner since you will be working together for years to come.
Step 6 – Match Up Chemistry and Values
Since you will be working with this integrator long-term as they build out and implement your system, make sure they always have your best interests in mind. Chances are that if your values (such as integrity, work ethic, commitment to excellence, and teamwork) are a close match, then the ongoing partnership will be a great fit for years to come.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know the characteristics of a RightFIT systems integrator, you can be more certain that whoever you choose to work with will be the best possible partner for your operation’s unique needs.
Conveyco has adhered to these guidelines for over 3 decades. Click here to book a free consultation with a member of our team to learn more about how we can help you solve your challenges and meet your needs.