Tilt Tray Sorter – Apparel Industry
|Bob Lutz – Author|
Tilt Tray Sorters in the Apparel Industry
The Apparel Industry has struggled for many years with handling a variety of product sizes, shapes and packaging design. With technology advances like the Tilt Tray Sorter, those issues are something of the past. Now mixed shapes of small boxes and light articles of clothing in poly bags can be reliably sorted into numerous assigned locations. The addition of this type of sortation has increased the rate and accuracy of products being shipped today by apparel companies.
Free Guide: Top Order Fulfillment KPI Indicators
A Tilt Tray Sorter is a continuous loop sortation conveyor that is a combination of tilting trays and chutes that send products to an assigned lane based on an order. The packages are either manually or automatically inducted onto the Tilt Tray Sorter based on orders that have been downloaded for picking. The products are scanned at induction and when the product reaches its assigned location the tray is tilted and the product is discharged down the chute that has been assigned to that order. This can be done at a high rate of speed and accuracy.
Benefits of the Tilt Tray Sorter
- The Tilt Tray Sorter automatically and reliably sorts individually bar coded packages to designated locations at a high rate of speed
- It is ideal for a high number of sorts and is designed for future expansion
- The system gently handles the products
- The noise level is much lower than other types of sortation systems
- Labor requirements are dramatically reduced