Controls Engineers (Automation Systems Engineering) Level 2
The position is responsible for setting up, programming, checking, and modifying electrical control panels, circuitry, and equipment. Adhering to established guidelines of the Conveyco Technologies controls engineering department. Reports to: Controls Engineering Manager.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop electrical and controls system design solutions based on engineering principles and involvement in presentation of the solution to customer
- Provide technical support to external and internal customers.
- Resolve operational problems related to projects and minimize delays or unexpected cost increases
- Responsible for project success whether project leader or as part of a project team
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed
- Support sales team in pre-sales technical concept and budgeting activities
- Interpret client requirements, identify and address design parameters and engineering problems and ensure solutions are implemented accurately and within budget
- Program new and modify existing installations of conveyor systems
- Reprogram automation systems for engineering changes and improvements
- Pretest controls programs through the use of test rigs or software emulators prior to shipment
- Provide system installation support and on-site start-up and debugging for both hardware and software
- Create and modify electrical drawings utilizing AutoCAD
- Analyze project requirements and perform technical calculations supporting design including electrical requirements, safety standards, and motor controls.
- Create and finalize designs to meet project requirements.
- Create accurate Bill of Materials.
- Define equipment and parts from external suppliers.
- Conduct cost and time estimation.
- Provide assistance and training to other Conveyco Technologies’ employees in regard to the company’s drawing standards, CAD operation, programming, and file management software
- Provide general information and documentation as requested
- Assist in the development and assembly of control system documents
- Perform related tasks on special projects as directed
- Use Conveyco Technologies’ standard procedures, forms, and software to perform job functions
- Oversee project workflow and support internal and external resources to ensure timely delivery of projects, expected quality, and allotted budget.
- Electrical, software design of customized solutions including manufacturing automation and safety systems.
- Support manufacture, build and validation of systems which include pneumatics, servos, VFD’s, relays, communication networks, touchscreens, pushbuttons and other field devices.
- Create customer documentation such as user manuals, programming diagrams, network diagrams, and electrical drawings.
- Ability to architect programs that are simple to test, well documented and versatile
- Advanced working knowledge of PLC logic and controls (RSLogix, Siemens, GE)
- Experience in Java, microcontroller programming, and HDL languages is a Plus
- SQL, Access, and Excel
- Allen Bradley Panel View use/programming AB Servo and AB VFD drives
- HMI Programming
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to independently troubleshoot equipment for improvement for quality and delivery
- Ability to read prints, use AutoCAD, interpret and modify electrical schematics
- Understanding of conveyors system programming
- Networking, Ethernet, DH+, RIO
- Simulating modeling exposure
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills
- Maintain accurate records and files according to quality standard
- Commission customized products and systems onsite and at customer facilities
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship with the customers, vendors, and Conveyco team members and to use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority
Education and Experience:
- Applicants must be a citizen of the United States
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (or similar related degree)
- 3-5 years related job experience
- Proficient with MS Office, Allen Bradley RSLogix 5000, AutoCAD Electrical and Factory Talk
- Strong fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design and its application in automated industrial designs
- Must have experience working with material handling conveyor systems
- Efficiently organize and plan work tasks to meet company goals
- Critical thinking with exceptional problem solving skills, able to work independently and in team environments
- Proactive, resourceful & highly motivated with good communication skills and ability to work in high output environment
- Ability to balance multiple projects
- Travel as required to support projects
- Microsoft Office products
As Conveyco continues to grow, we hire people who value collaboration, initiative, client respect, and a strong work ethic. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, and a great work environment. To apply for a position at Conveyco, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to reference the position to which you are applying.
We are always looking for good people. If you don’t see an open position that fits your skills but are interested in working for a company that values its employees, feel free to send us a resume. To apply for a position at Conveyco, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If you are applying for an internship, please send us an email with your resume and cover letter indicating what type of intern position and period of time you are interested in.