The Kut N Decant™ System automatically cuts, de-lids, and decants corrugated cases. The de-lidded cases of SKUs are then robotically decanted then loaded into inventory totes until the tote is full or a desired compartment in the tote is full or the next SKU shows up. The decanted and married inventory that has been systematically registered to the totes LPN (license plate number) and compartment is then delivered to its next destination, e.g., storage system such as an AS/RS. Decanting cases of SKUs, also often called “box opening”, is typically the second most labor-intensive function in a warehouse behind order picking. With labor costs increasing and labor availability being an ever-increasing issue, the state-of-the-art Kut N Decant has been designed (patent pending) to cut open, de-lid, and decant cases to significantly reduce human labor in your warehouse.
Historically, decanting is often used to refer to gradually pouring liquid (most often wine) from one container into another, especially without disturbing the sediment, but, in today’s warehouse, decanting is about the transferring of inventory, products, or SKUs into an empty tote and/or its compartments. A tote filled with inventory can contain a single SKU, or the tote can be partitioned by dividers to store multiple SKUs in separate compartments.
The cases are conveyed into the lid cutting robot where the cases are mechanically racked on the internal conveyor surface, gripped, the top cut by the appropriate type of servo driven cutting head, and then the lid is discarded (de-lidded). After de-lidding, the case is conveyed out of the cutting machine to a pickup position where a secondary and tertiary robotic arm work together to surgically invert the de-lidded case, remove the remaining corrugated shell of the case, then grasps and transfers the contents into an available tote or compartment of a tote. Once the tote has been filled, it is routed via conveyor, autonomous mobile robot, or other means of transportation to workstations, forward pick faces or storage until needed.
Unlike the box openers and decanting systems of the past, which would cut the case open and dump them into the tote (sometimes called cut and dump), the Kut N Decant places items into the tote with precision. The Kut N Decant helps eliminate product packaging damage via improved cutting head types and more accurate and precise cutting control, and the Kut N Decant also optimizes the totes cube capacity by eliminating wasted space in the inventory tote with smart product placement.
Need an Expert Opinion?
Why the Kut N Decant System Makes Sense to Your Operations
By eliminating the second most labor-intensive activity in a warehouse, the Kut N Decant automatic cutting and decanting system is perfect for today’s fast moving and ultra-efficient distribution centers, micro-fulfillment centers (MFCs), pop-up DCs, warehouses and more. The system consists of two modules. The first module cuts and opens the box and transfers it to the second module. The second module places the loose inventory into the tote so that the inventory is ready for order fulfillment in less than case pick operations. The modular construction makes the system available for rapid installation and deployment.
Flexibility of the system is unparalleled. By using its AI (artificial intelligence) learning technology, the SKU base can change, which it does in today’s distribution environment. Its autonomous learning capabilities allows it to manage and accurately open an expanding range of box and case sizes and dimensions. As a complementary benefit, the dimensions of inbound cased product can be recorded on a SKU level and sent back to higher level systems for use in other areas of the warehouse. Its AI platform allows for multiple Kut N Decant work cells in a network to learn and share information with each other and other systems.
Features of the Kut N Decant
Case box cutting and decanting has never been faster and easier with the high performance Kut N Decant system.
- Up to 800 cases per hour/work cell
- Fast return on investment (ROI)
- Preprogramming for specific SKUs or items shapes and case sizes is not required
- AI platform allows the system to constantly learn and improve
- Directly integrates with conveyor, autonomous mobile robots and other technologies
- Sub-divided totes are automatically matched with unit batch sizes
- Free form shapes, cans, bottles, inner and blister packs are accommodated automatically
- Item orientation can be set for highest density (default) or logic based on leaking, fragility or other characteristics
- Rapid installation and deployment for today’s schedules
- Plug and play modules
- No compressors or air is required
- Feeds cases with 2” spacing
Benefits of the Kut N Decant System
Between the labor and space savings efficiencies of the Kut N Decant system, operations can utilize the new efficiencies to:
- Reduce costs of order fulfillment by eliminating labor
- Increase inventory accuracy
- Achieve great Return On Investment (ROI)
- Reduce floor space with the compact cellular design
- Reduce worker injury incidents and the associated costs for the most hazardous labor operation in the warehouse
- Reduce litigation due to the inherent danger of box cutting
- Reduce storage requirements due to the system’s high density performance
- Provides a predictable and constant flow of totes, taking staffing concerns out of the equation
- Mitigates the second highest user of labor (besides order picking)
Kut N Decant Systems Applications
The system’s modular design and flexibility make the Kut N Decant system perfect in a myriad of applications and industries.
- Order Fulfillment
- Micro-fulfillment Centers (MFCs)
- Pop-up DCs
- Ecommerce Operations
- Omni-channel Operations
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale & Distribution
- Grocery and Convenience Store
- Aids in social distancing efforts
Options & Accessories for the Kut N Decant System
The modular design with simple components arranged and controlled in a smart way makes the system very self-sufficient and it enables application flexibility for integration with other technologies to further enhance the value proposition and business case, for example:
- Integrated cube and weight capture
- Warehouse Execution Systems (WES) software
- Single or dual lanes (pre or post installation)
- Autonomous mobile robots (AMRs)
- Vertical Sequencing Modules (VSMs)
- A wide variety of AS/RS systems.
Why Use Conveyco for Your Case Cutting and Decanting Solutions
With over 40 years of experience and reputation as one of the premiere systems integrators in North America, Conveyco Technologies provides its customers with a holistic approach to working together to create shared success with world-class results. Grounded in transparency and diligence, Conveyco uses the seven step RightFIT methodology to assure projects are evaluated, designed, and implemented through the lens of your organization’s business requirements matched with an intelligent and consultative investigation of a broad spectrum of alternatives and technologies. We look forward to showing you the RightFIT methodology will assure your operation’s success. Let’s take your intra-logistics operations to a world-class level!
Box Cutting and Decanting Specifications
- Minimum: 6” L x 4” W x 2” H
- Standard: 30” L x 20” W x 24” H
- Large: 40” L x 26” W x 26” H
- Boxes cut down to 2” in height
- Expandable to dual lane for 50% more throughput
Automated Packaging Resources