Automating the decant process is one of the most overlooked opportunities in distribution fulfillment systems and often yields extremely quick ROI’s.
Decant is part of the replenishment. Specifically, the process of removing the items (inner packs) from their original shipping master corrugate containers and placing items (i.e. contents) into totes for automated storage and retrieval systems that discretely routes these totes to pickers and robots for order fulfillment or Re-Pack systems in general merchandise and HB&A repackaging.
Conveyco’s Decant System utilizes an integrated hardware and software solution to automate the box opening, lid removal and decanting of contents for corrugate master packs / cases The opened master pack cases of SKUs are then robotically decanted then profiled into inventory totes. The decanted inventory that has been systematically slotted and registered to the totes LPN (license plate number) and compartment is then delivered to its next destination, e.g., storage system such as an AS/RS.
Decanting cases of SKUs aka “box opening” – is identified the second most labor-intensive function in a warehouse -at 25% of warehouse labor- behind order picking in several labor analysis studies. With labor costs increasing and labor availability being an ever-increasing issue, the state-of-the-art decanting system has been designed to cut open, remove lids, and decant cases to significantly reduce human labor in your warehouse.
Need an Expert Opinion?
Why Conveyco’s Box Cutting and Decanting System Makes Sense to Your Operations
By eliminating the second most labor-intensive activity in a warehouse, Conveyco’s automatic cutting and decanting system is perfect for today’s fast moving and ultra-efficient distribution centers, micro-fulfillment centers (MFCs), pop-up DCs, warehouses and more. The system consists of two modules. The first module opens the box, removes the lid and then transfers it to the second module. The second module extracts the inventory and slots it into the LP tote. The inventory is ready for order fulfillment in goods-to-person and less than case pick operations. The modular construction makes the system available for rapid installation and deployment.
Flexibility of the system is unparalleled. Utilizing a database configured to apply AI (artificial intelligence) learning technology, the ever-changing SKU base can be easily managed in today’s evolving distribution environment. Autonomous learning capabilities allows the system to manage and accurately open the expanding range of box and case sizes and dimensions. As an added benefit, the dimensions of inbound cased product can be recorded on a SKU level and sent back to higher level systems for use in other areas of the warehouse. The AI platform allows for multiple work cells to communicate in a networked environment, sharing learned information.
Features of Cutting and Decanting System
Case or box opening, and decanting has never been faster and easier with the high performance Conveyco’s Decant system.
- Up to 800 cases per hour/work cell
- Fast return on investment (ROI)
- Preprogramming for specific SKUs or items shapes and case sizes is not required
- AI platform allows the system to constantly learn and improve
- Directly integrates with conveyor, autonomous mobile robots, and other technologies
- Sub-divided totes are automatically matched with unit batch sizes
- Free form shapes, cans, bottles, inner and blister packs are accommodated automatically
- Item orientation can be set for highest density (default) or logic based on leaking, fragility or other characteristics
- Rapid installation and deployment for today’s schedules
- Plug and play modules
- No compressors or air is required
- Feeds cases with 2” spacing
Benefits of Conveyco’s Decant System
Between the labor and space savings efficiencies of the Kut N Decant system, operations can utilize the new efficiencies to:
- Reduce costs of order fulfillment by eliminating labor
- Increase inventory accuracy
- Achieve great Return on Investment (ROI)
- Reduce floor space with the compact cellular design
- Reduce worker injury incidents and the associated costs for the most hazardous labor operation in the warehouse
- Reduce litigation due to the inherent danger of box cutting
- Reduce storage requirements due to the system’s high-density performance
- Provides a predictable and constant flow of totes, taking staffing concerns out of the equation
- Mitigates the second highest user of labor (besides order picking)
Applications for Conveyco’s Case Cutting and Decanting System
The system’s modular design and flexibility make the Kut N Decant system perfect in a myriad of applications and industries.
- Order Fulfillment
- Micro-fulfillment Centers (MFCs)
- Pop-up DCs
- Ecommerce Operations
- Omni-channel Operations
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale & Distribution
- Grocery and Convenience Store
- Aids in social distancing efforts
Options and Accessories for the Box Cutting and Decanting System
The modular design with simple components arranged and controlled in a smart way makes the system very self-sufficient and it enables application flexibility for integration with other technologies to further enhance the value proposition and business case, for example:
- Integrated cube and weight capture
- Warehouse Execution Systems (WES) software
- Single or dual lanes (pre or post installation)
- Autonomous mobile robots (AMRs)
- Vertical Sequencing Modules (VSMs)
- A wide variety of AS/RS systems.
Why Use Conveyco for Your Case Cutting and Decanting Solutions
With over 40 years of experience and reputation as one of the premiere systems integrators in North America, Conveyco Technologies provides its customers with a holistic approach to working together to create shared success with world-class results. Grounded in transparency and diligence, Conveyco uses the seven step RightFIT methodology to assure projects are evaluated, designed, and implemented through the lens of your organization’s business requirements matched with an intelligent and consultative investigation of a broad spectrum of alternatives and technologies. We look forward to showing you the RightFIT methodology will assure your operation’s success. Let’s take your intra-logistics operations to a world-class level!
Box Cutting and Decanting Specifications
- Minimum: 6” L x 4” W x 2” H
- Standard: 30” L x 20” W x 24” H
- Large: 40” L x 26” W x 26” H
- Boxes cut down to 2” in height
- Expandable to dual lane for 50% more throughput
Automated Packaging Resources